3.29.2011

What's in a name?


I found this and thought it was totally appropriate! 
Names are important. They have power. They define us. They’re more than a bunch of letters grouped together to sound pleasant to the ear. Names are more than a convenience allowing us to talk to each other. Names are a gift from God. They contain His power. They define things. They define us.
“A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.” – Proverbs 22:1 (NIV)
Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/the-importance-of-names/#ixzz1I09GZxua


I feel like naming our baby girl has been the biggest decision we've had to make so far. There is so much to think about when naming your child. And when you throw 2 people into making the decision it makes it even harder. I wrote down names into a million lists, asking Jacob to mark the ones he didn't like off, and I got 1 name marked off the list. That is where we started this journey and it has been a long road. My sweet husband is the type of guy who doesn't care about many things...not meaning that he doesn't care about anything, but he doesn't sweat the small stuff, he would rather me make the decision...and we both are awful at making final decisions! He gave me one rule, we had to use a family name as a middle or first name. We automatically chose Grace as her middle name.


Grace means favor and blessing. It is also a virtue name meaning God's grace. We definitely have been blessed by God with this baby girl, so it is totally fitting for us. Jacob had a Granny Grace, his sister's middle name is Grace, and my cousin Ellary's middle name is Grace. So we know that this is definitely her middle name. 


When it comes to deciding on her first name, it was much more difficult. Jacob likes more traditional names, and I wanted something more unique and different, but also something that fits us. I don't know why, but my instincts told me to look at names starting with a "C" to go with Grace. I started searching one day and found it! I came across Campbell...generally a last name or even a boys name, but when I read that name I just knew that it was going to be my baby girl's name. It was the strangest feeling, I think it was the Lord giving me the feeling that that was the name He chose for her, and making me comfortable with that decision. 


When I approached Jacob with the name, his reaction was less than what I was hoping for. I was crushed, but told him to sleep on it and keep thinking about it. As I told more of my closest family and friends, and had wonderfully positive reactions from them, we revisited the conversation. He ultimately told me he liked the name, as well as another we had been throwing around, and that it was my decision. (so if she hates it, it's all on me, yikes)  He just wanted to quit thinking about it. He told me he would probably call her Cam or Cami which is so cute and I feel she totally needs a nickname from her daddy! 


Campbell is also a Gaelic name. My middle name, Dael, is also Gaelic, something that my dad was/is very proud of. So when I saw that Campbell was also gaelic, it was very important to me. Campbell actually means crooked mouth. When I think of this, I see a little girl with a sense of humor. With us as her parents, she will definitely need the ability to laugh and joke around. When I was a little girl, and even to this day, when my family gets together around the dinner table, there is not a time when we don't have our daily laugh. No matter what it is! I LOVE THAT! And I hope to continue that with my little family. I want to bring laughter and happiness to our family times, especially around the dinner table. 


When we saw her on the 3D sono, I knew she was a Campbell. We love her so much already and can't wait to meet our precious baby girl! 



1 comment: